Thursday, January 1, 2009

Look out World! Here I Come!

This is a Public Service Announcement from 12/23/2007:

Hello World! My name is Mariah! I'm a Pyrenean Shepherd.

I'm 7 weeks old! I'm very fresh! I have no manners! I'm very smart! I've got a lot to learn!

I come when I'm called.
I sit on command for 5 seconds.
I spin left or right on command with hand signals.
I've been in this new home since 4:00am Sunday morning and I know my name already.
I think I'm gonna give my mommy a run for her money!

************************************
And to think that this baby picture of Mariah is a year old already. Wow! Our little ball of fluff arrived at our home December 22, 2007 and our world has not been the same! And that's definitely a good thing! She is a true joy or as one admirer put it, "That is one happy soul!" This little dog is totally full of life and is constantly at "warp speed!" She has already been through a variety of obedience training, knows a bunch of tricks by both verbal and hand cues and is currently learning about agility obstacles. Let me tell you that she is SMART and FAST! Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooosh!

I chose today to start up "They Call the Wind Mariah" because it was announced that the Pyrenean Shepherd is now fully recognized by the American Kennel Club effective today, January 1, 2009! Here is a clip from the announcement on the AKC website:

"The Pyrenean Shepherd or 'Pyr Shep' has herded sheep in the Pyrenees Mountains of Southern France for centuries. The breed comes in two coat types – Rough-Faced and Smooth-Faced. It first distinguished itself outside its native mountains during its service to French troops during World War I. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Pyr Sheps gave their lives for the cause as couriers, search and rescue dogs finding injured soldiers after battles, and accompanying guards on their rounds.
Some Pyr Sheps came to North America in the 19th century accompanying flocks of imported sheep. Pyr Shep fanciers imported breeding stock in the 1970’s and 80’s, establishing the foundation for the breed in America today. Working closely with the French parent club, U.S. fanciers founded the Pyrenean Shepherd Club of America in 1987 with the goal of protecting and preserving Pyrenean Shepherds. Although tentative with strangers, the Pyrenean Shepherd has a very lively, cheerful disposition, and is a superb canine athlete who excels at agility and other dog sports."

This blog will be updated periodically with pictures and news about Mariah, her agility training progress and whatever else amuses us to post about our terribly cute baby!

Here's 3 pix of the little dickens all grown up! I took these in late October/early November... just shortly after her first birthday!

No comments: